OTTAWA MAYOR FOR A DAY CONTEST (2018)
Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and Youth Ottawa want to know your ideas to make Ottawa an even better place to live. You are invited submit either an essay (max. 1000 words) or a 5 minute video with your responses to "What are your 3 ideas to improve the City of Ottawa?"
The selected applicants will be named "Mayor for a Day" and have the opportunity to spend time with Mayor Watson and City of Ottawa staff, learn about the Mayor's office, and discuss their ideas.
- Applicants must submit either an essay (max. 1000 words) or a 5 minute YouTube video with their response to "What are your 3 ideas to improve the City of Ottawa?"
- Applicants may submit only one entry.
- Applicants must submit their entry online by 7:00pm on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
- Applicants must be residents of the City of Ottawa and enrolled in Grades 9-12 at an Ottawa high school.
- Applications will be blind reviewed by Youth Ottawa for completeness. Final judging will be conducted by members of the Ottawa Youth Engagement Committee and Mayor Watson's team.
- Applicants must clearly explain their ideas, why they feel their ideas will benefit the city, and how their ideas would be implemented. Entries will be evaluated based on:
- Relevance to municipal affairs;
- Feasibility of ideas; and
- Benefit to Ottawa residents.
- Two applicants will be selected as Mayor for a Day. The winners will not have the legal authority or office of Mayor but will have the opportunity to spend time with the Mayor and City of Ottawa staff.
- All submitted entries become the sole property of Youth Ottawa and the City of Ottawa and will be used in accordance with the Contest rules without remuneration or liability.
No purchase necessary. Before filling out the below form, all applicants must speak with a parent/guardian to obtain their permission to participate.
For more information, please email Emma Buchanan, the Ottawa Youth Engagement Committee Coordinator.