JOIN THE TEAM: Communications and Special Events Coordinator Job Posting
DO YOU HAVE A BACKGROUND IN COMMUNICATIONS/EVENT COORDINATION AND ENJOY WORKING WITH YOUTH?
DO YOU WANT TO HELP YOUTH OTTAWA TO SHARE THE STORIES OF THE YOUTH WHO ARE MAKING A POSITIVE IMPACT ON THEIR COMMUNITIES?
Youth Ottawa is an Ottawa-based charity which empowers youth to spark remarkable change in their communities. We believe that youth are an integral part to building a better world today and envision a city where youth are meaningfully involved in all levels of decision making and community building. We have been in operation since 1997, and thousands of youth participate in our programs and activities annually.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications and Special Events Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining and implementing Youth Ottawa’s communications strategy as well as coordinating signature Youth Ottawa events like the Spirit of the Capital Youth Awards and the Mayor’s Annual Charity Golf Classic. Overall, the purpose of this job is to grow recognition of both youth achievement and Youth Ottawa’s brand with key external stakeholders.
The following tasks will be worked on in conjunction with the Executive Director of Youth Ottawa and other Youth Ottawa Staff:
Maintain and implement Youth Ottawa’s communications strategy (60% of the job)
● Prioritize communication items for audience, purpose, and timeliness and ensure timely communications through a variety of platforms (email campaigns, website and social media posts, paper campaigns)
● Develop external communications products (promotional pieces, website and social media posts, reports, etc...)
● Coordinate external communications content development included in communications products (in English and French)
● Maintain social media profiles and coordinate volunteer and staff posts and responses
● Ensure adherence to Youth Ottawa’s branding guidelines as well as those of our partners
● Maintain website (WordPress) to ensure top performance and coordinate updates as necessary
● Coordinate all media availability
● Ensure Youth Ottawa promotional materials are at community events and, on occasion, attend these events to promote the organization and our activities.
● Provide direction and mentorship to youth running Youth Ottawa supported, for-youth-by-youth
● Maintain communications budget
Coordinate Signature Youth Ottawa events (40% of the job)
● Provide event coordination function for key events with support from Youth Ottawa Staff
● Establish and maintain relationships with partners, donors and event sponsors as needed
● Manage event logistics and budgets
● Coordinate human resources in lead up to and through events (both staff and volunteers)
● Organized, efficient, reliable and detail oriented with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to collaborative work
● B.A. Degree and 2 years professional office experience preferred
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills, particularly with respect to concise communications
● Proficiency with web-based and Adobe design applications and Google suite.
● Desire to problems solve and use outside of the box thinking
● Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds, training, and experience
● A genuine sense of optimism and belief in the power of youth to make a difference!
$35,000-40,000 Annual Salary
35 hour work week
5 weeks paid vacation (3 weeks at discretion of Employee and 2 weeks taken off for December holidays).
Deadline for applications is July 15th, 2018.
Interviews will be conducted in the third & fourth week of July, 2018.
Ideal start date early August, 2018.
Note: The successful candidate will be able to provide a satisfactory criminal reference check for working with vulnerable populations. Some evening and weekend work will be required of this position.
- Second language ability (French or other language)
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]