Youth Active Media (YAM) Program Coordinator
Contract: 17 months (2.5 days per week); Feb 2018 - June 2019
Deadline: Jan. 5th, 2018
General Program Description
Youth Active Media (YAM) is a video production training program and social enterprise that gives young people the opportunity to learn the art of filmmaking, and access meaningful job opportunities. The training program empowers youth to effect positive social change through the creation of short films about issues that affect their lives. Through the Social Enterprise, youth continue to apply their filmmaking skills by creating paid promotional videos for clients.
The following tasks will be worked on in conjunction with the Executive Director of Youth Ottawa, the Social Enterprise Manager, and the Social Planning Council of Ottawa:
- Organizing the delivery of the training program in collaboration with project partners (Alternate High Schools, community agencies, libraries and local community initiatives in Ottawa).
- Delivery of a videography training program to groups of youth in Ottawa aged 14 – 24, including supervising youth facilitators and ensuring completion of videos by participants.
- Working with Program Graduates and the Social Enterprise Manager to offer video production services to organizations and businesses in Ottawa as a means of income for the youth. May involve accompanying the youth videographers on film shoots and overseeing video editing and delivery of videos to clients.
- Conducting outreach and interviews in collaboration with project partners for youth facilitators, youth videographers, and volunteers for the program. Participate in periodic youth staff evaluations.
- Developing and delivering training modules on the curriculum for youth facilitators and volunteers.
- Assisting in the organization of an annual youth video festival to showcase the work of the participants.
- Attending quarterly Social Enterprise advisory committee meetings.
$25,000 Annual Salary - 2.5 days per week ($50,000 base pay pro-rated for half time) plus mileage and 5 weeks paid vacation (3 weeks at discretion of Employee and 2 weeks taken off for December holidays). Contract of 17 months - February 2018 - June 2019.
Deadline for applications is January 5th, 2018. Interviews will be conducted mid-January with the candidate available to start by February 1st.
- A working knowledge and experience in video production, including camera, sound and lighting equipment.
- Knowledge of post-production software - ideally Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop.
- Experience working with youth in a facilitation capacity (workshop leader, counsellor, teacher).
- Entrepreneurial skills - experience in running a business, freelancing, or marketing.
- Ability to develop and cultivate professional working relationships with community organizations, schools and other groups.
- Strong speaking and presentation skills.
- ‘Out of the box’ problem solving abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Enthusiasm, fortitude, patience and passion.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team
Note: The successful candidate will be required to have a valid driver's license and access to a vehicle for transporting equipment. The candidate must also be able to provide a satisfactory criminal reference check for working with vulnerable populations. Some evening and weekend work will be required of this position.
- Second language ability (French or non-official language)
How to Apply
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Youth Ottawa’s Executive Director, Ian Bingeman at [email protected]. Or click the "apply now" button below to begin an email.